Can Eye Exercises Help Macular Degeneration?

woman-exercising-with-barbells-at-homeThe name says it all: Macular Degeneration.

In other words, the condition is the result of a degenerative process.

It’s not like a cold or the flu, that you catch at one moment in time.

Instead, it’s an on-going process of decline that probably began long before the condition was detected by an eye doctor.

As with most other degenerative processes normally associated with the aging process, Macular Degeneration can respond to effective action that can slow down, control, and even reverse, the aging process.

That’s been my philosophy for years.

Now, I’m so glad to see that researchers are finally beginning to discover the same thing.

A recent article reported in the Archives of Ophthalmology (May 2008) studied the benefits of vision therapy with diseases of the macula.

After four months, the 64 patients who received vision therapy experienced a significant improvement in all aspects of visual function, including reading ability. Significant improvements in functional ability for mobility, visual information processing, visual motor skills and overall ability also were seen in the treatment group.

The group that did not receive therapy saw both their vision and functional ability decline over the four-month follow-up.

Because of this decline, the doctors who conducted the research concluded that vision therapy should be started as early as possible.

Click here to read about another study demonstrating the value of exercises.

It may sound obvious, but it’s true: Your eyes are like the rest of your body, and respond to exercise, training, relaxation and nutritional supplements.

So, do something good for your eyes today – and every day!

21 Responses to “Can Eye Exercises Help Macular Degeneration?”

1. Ferne Conrad says:

What are the eye excerises ? Thanks, Ferne

2. John Heim says:

HELLO MARK–3 months ago I started your–eyemax/plus–I also take–a Macular degeneration supplement that has 100mg lutein–30 mg billberry–10mg-zeaxanthin (1 pill a day)–also for years i’ve been taking fish oil 1000 mg (1 a day)—I’m 77 & have a start of dry macular in my left eye, it’s like a jelly fish circle right in the center of that eye, my other eye is OK. I need glasses only for distance, i had catarac surgery done on both eyes 7 years ago– My mother had macular in both eyes at age 80, so for 10 years or so i’ve been taking eye supplements. Am i over doing with my recipe ?? I’m taking your eyemax in place of the vitamin that i’ve was taking for years. In the 3 months ive been on your pills & the macular supplements I haven’t seen much change, sometimes it seems better, then short time later it goes back, I don’t smoke or drink & ALWAYS wear sun glasses–any advice or comment will be much appreciated–PLEASE send your answer in my e-mail–THANKS !!—John from Michigan– music0@comcast.net

• Martin Sussman says:

Sorry, can’t send emails to private addresses, so I’ll respond here.
      I don’t think you’re overdoing it, as far as the supplements. The supplements you list work well together. Three months is not really all that much time. I think it’s great that you’re seeing some changes, even though they are fleeting at first. Keep on the track you’re on. I also hope you’re exercising – both your body – and your eyes. You’ve got to get the blood, oxygen and nutrients circulating through yoiur body. That’s VERY important. If you read the posts on this blog, you’ll see what the research says in this regard and what steps you can actually take.

3. RAMON C.PAYO says:

MAY BE I’M ONE OF UR, LET US SAY UR NEW OBSERVER OR PATIENT THIS TIME, I’M RAMON PAYO OF SAGAY CITY PROVINCE OF NEGROS OCCIDENTAL, PHILIPPINES MY PROBLEM IS ABOUT MY EYE, THE RIGHT EYE WHOM I LOOKED I’VE SEEN BLOCKING IN MY SIGHT WHICH IS LIKE A CLOUDY THAT BUTHER MY SIGHTVISION HALF OF MY SIGHT VISION IN THE CENTER IS CLOUDY AND CAN’T SEE THOROUGHLY.I’M PARTIALLY BLIND. THIS IS MY PROBLEM .PLEASE HELP ME WHATS UR COMMENT FOR THIS DESEASE I HAVE. DOC, I NEED UR TREATMENT ADVISE, I’M SO SUFFERING IN MY SIGFHT/VISION. THANK YOU.

4. Eugene says:

If somebody use vacuum massage glasses.
    I have , but I need share experience.
    My e- mail: master77598@yahoo.com
    thanks.
    Eugene.

5. Eugene says:

If somebody use vacuum massage glasses.
    I have , but I need share experience.
    My e- mail: nepomnichy@yahoo.com